[ubuntu-us-nm] EPC: Network access in the Resident Dorm

Eric Krieger unmlobo at gmail.com
Fri May 23 23:57:15 BST 2008

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of trying to use
wireless in place of wired access.  This is for several reasons.

1 - Wiring the new building will be a royal pain.
2 - The expense of purchasing not only copper cat5 or cat6 cables but
wall jacks, plates,  cable ends, patch panels, etc.
3 - Time to install.
4 - Tools required for install.  I know I have everything but who else
does?
5 - Mobility in the resident rooms (the ability to change the locations
of their computers/desks).
6 -  Ease, speed and most cost effectiveness of setting up wireless
access.
7 - Possible future campus wide mobile access needs.

If there is a real desire to network those systems I think picking up
something like these for each the pc's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127145

Vs. Bulk amounts of everything listed in point 2.

(fyi the first review that states that this card does not work with
Ubuntu is flat wrong.  read the other reviews that have no problem.  Oh
and I run this card under Ubuntu...no issues.)

And may be increase number of access points in the building adjacent
from the resident dorms to expand wireless network coverage of EPC.

Just food of thought.

Eric