[ubuntu-us-nm] HOWTO: Enable Dell Docking station Audio Port
grammatoncleric at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 19 15:49:18 GMT 2008
Here's a little HOWTO for getting a Dell laptop to use the Docking station
*Boot the laptop with it in the docking station.*
1. Right click on "*Volume Applet*" (the little speaker on the Gnome panel).
2. Select "*Open Volume Control*."
3. Now select *Edit* -> *Preferences.*
4. Put a check mark next to *IEC958.*
5. Click *Close*.
6. Click on the *Switches* tab in the *Open Volume Control *window.
7. Put a check next to the *IEC958* option.
8. Select "*Playback Tab*" and mute "*Master*" (i.e. click on the little
speaker icon below the Master level.)
9. Lower the volume level of the current *PCM *and close the *Open Volume
10. Connect your speakers or head phones to the headphone audio port on the
left side of the Dell Docking station.
11. Right click on "*Volume Applet*" (the little speaker on the Gnome panel)
12. Select *Preferences*.
13. In the window that appears select *PCM* then click *Close *(this changes
the * Volume Applet* to control *PCM* volume instead of the *Master*).
14. Now try to play something, If the volume level is to loud left click on
the *Volume Applet* and lower the level.
15. When the laptop is undocked you will need to the set Volume Applet (step
13) back to use the *Master* volume as well as* un-mute* it.
"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do.
There can be no courage unless you're scared."
-Edward Vernon Rickenbacker
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ubuntu-us-nm