[Ubuntu-US-NM] NetworkManager and VPN Plugins

Eric Krieger grammatoncleric at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 10 12:05:19 GMT 2008

A couple people have asked how I vpn into my office from my Ubuntu laptop.

It's actually quite simple.  I've installed the NetworkManager (
http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/) plugin for vpnc (
http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/net/network-manager-vpnc).  Once you have
this installed you can import, if you have one, your Cisco pcf file.  Other
wise you'll need your....

- The dns name or ip address of your cisco vpn.
- The cisco vpn's group password (most network admins don't like giving this
out... with good reason).
- Your cisco vpn password.
- The subnets that you wanted routed through the vpn tunnel.

Once you have all the above and the network-manager-vpnc module installed
just left click on the NetworkManager icon and select...

VPN Connections -> Configure VPN

There is also a a NetworkManager plugin for openvpn as well.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/net/network-manager-openvpn

Eric

--

Eric Krieger

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do.
There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                    -Edward Vernon Rickenbacker