[Ubuntu-US-NM] Time to Virtualize

Eric Krieger unmlobo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 19:01:19 GMT 2008

Go with VMware. Do you have an external USB Hard Drive? If you do then
this is going to be easy.

1. Download VMWare's P2V (Physical to Virtual) Converter from...

http://vmware.com/download/converter/

2. Install it on your Windows Laptop.

3. Connect the hard drive to your laptop.

4. Fire up VMWare Converter and Follow this how to...

http://www.pringle.net.nz/Blog/PermaLink,guid,4f2ccdae-0825-4b87-8b84-4050172fb033.aspx

Dumping the virtual image of your laptop to the USB drive. Now you have
an exact copy of you laptop as a VM.

Now the hard part. Are you willing to part with $200 for VMware
Workstation? There are a couple advantages...

https://www.vmware.com/products/ws/new.html

The USB support is a big one...it allows your VM's to access USB devices
directly. I purchased Workstation and I think it's worth it.

Also before you blow away your windows partition and install Ubuntu I
would really recommend that you create a backup "image" of your laptop
with something like...

http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

...that way if something goes very wrong you can alway restore your
laptop to it's former XP self....

With the VM and Image of your laptop created install Ubuntu and your
flavor of VMWare... If you need help with the VMware let me know.

Eric