[Ubuntu-US-NM] Time to Virtualize

Andrew Parker andrew at source3.com
Wed Mar 5 15:36:04 GMT 2008

Folks:

I am gearing up to redo my laptop in preparation for my Capstone Project
at Penn State.  Below is a short discussion on what I want to do.  Any
words of wisdom is appreciated.  I want to perform the transition soon
after March 18th.

  Objectives

For my Capstone project in the MGIS program at Penn State, I want to use
Open Source software only. However, I use the same laptop for school and
work. While at work, I need to run programs that only run in Windows (ie
ArcMap, MS Access, gotomeeting). In addition, I connect to a Windows
Domain (Windows Server 2003) while at work.

My proposed solution is to run Ubuntu 7.10 as host and use Virtualbox,
VMserver, or VMworkstation to run Windows XP as a guest. I do not want
to dual boot as I need the functionality of both Linux and Windows at
the same time and drive space is limited.

I also use a docking station at work with an external monitor.  I have
played around with the external screen but never got it to display
properly.  I will need help configuring the display settings when the
time comes.

  System Configuration

Computer

Thinkpad T60

Processor

Intel Centrino Duo 1.83 Ghz

RAM

3 GB

Hard Drive

80GB

OS

Dual Boot, Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu 7.10

(within Windows, I am also running Ubuntu within Virtualbox)

  Programs to Run

I need to run the following programs. To my knowledge, they only run in
Windows XP:

   1.

      ArcView 9.2

   2.

      MS Access

   3.

      Acrobat Reader Professional 7.0

   4.

      gotomeeting, gotoassist

  Questions

   1.

      Would it be better to run Windows XP as host and Ubuntu as guest?
      I am worried abut connecting to our work domain.

   2.

      Are there any advantages to partitioning the HD and use the extra
      partition for data storage that both the host and guest can access?

--
Andrew Parker
Source3 Computing