[Ubuntu-US-NM] FreeNAS vs. Nexenta?

Eric Krieger unmlobo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 20:24:50 GMT 2008

FreeNAS is distro focused on creating a NAS  that is out of the box is
easy to setup and configure via web interface and it is free and open
sourced.

Nexenta is a FULL OS  (i.e. like Solaris/OpenSolaris) but it has many of
the features of Ubuntu (i.e. apt-get).  It would require a lot of
hacking and tweaking to get Nexenta anywhere close to what FreeNAS can
do.  Now the parent company (http://www.nexenta.com/corp/) that is
developing the NexentaOS makes VM Appliance that is designed with the
intend to create a NAS/SAN of your own making but it is not free.

http://www.nexenta.com/corp/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=4&Itemid=67

Now as to ZFS it is incorperated into all OpenSolaris and the latest
release of Sun Solaris 10.   ZFS is cool and very similar  to NetApp's
WAFL file system, which is why NetApp is suing Sun and in return Sun is
suing NetApp.  I've played with ZFS and it does what it claims but it is
clunky no where near as easy to use as WALF which is why Sun released to
to the Open Source Community.    Sun needs help making it easier to use.

Eric