[ubuntu-us-nm] 8.04 upgrade stories

Eric Krieger unmlobo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 19:31:37 BST 2008

Here's mine....

The Bad:

1 - Flash was broken no sound and very choppy playback. Had to install
libflashsupport and libflash-mozplugin to fix flash issues.

2 - Pulse Audio sound quality leaves much to be desired. It seems that
anything (copying a file to an nfs share, searching the locatal hd,etc.)
can cause playback to crackly. No fix yet. Hope this move was not a
mistake for Ubuntu. That said moving between my laptop docking station
and native sound is working better but sounds like crap.

3 - Not impress with the new video setup menu. Had to install the
official NVIDIA drivers to gain some control over how my laptop handles
switching between local screen and my Dell 2407WFPHC monitor. Where did
all the settings go?

4 - VPNC - Was broken but protonchris rebuild of it works flawlessly.
Thanks protonchris!

5 - IPOD Support: I have a gen4 ipod. I use banshee/hipo to sync it to
my music collection. I use banshee because it will auto convert media
from say ogg to mp3 as it is syncing to the ipod. They only way that I
can get either banshee or hipo to work is to launch Rhythmbox first.
Once Rhythmbox see it I can then close Rhythmbox and use the other
applications.

The Good:

1 - System Monitor - looks awesome!

2 - OpenOffice - 2.4 is really nice!

3 - FireFox 3 - I like the fact that it's theme integrates with the
native GTK2 themes.

So far my biggest complaint is Pulse Audio.

Eric