[ubuntu-us-nm] Hardy and screen resolution

Leif Gregory ldgregory69 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 17:19:53 BST 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:13:00 -0600
Andrew Parker <andrew at source3.com> wrote:
> I cannot get the resolution right.  I have tried the usual by
> adjusting the Screen Resolution in Preferences and the usual variants
> of "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" which does not seem to
> work in Hardy.

When I upgraded to Gutsy, I couldn't get my resolution above 1024x768.
I tried the dpkg-reconfigure for xserver too but never got anywhere.
Then for the pure heck of it, I edited my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and
just added the 1440x900 (it's a widescreen laptop) to the mode line.

IIRC, I rebooted (probably a way to update that without a reboot, but
I'm still a n00b). The option then showed up in my Screen Resolution
applet and worked fine from then on out.

Modes           "1440x900" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"

All I did was add "1440x900" to the above in xorg.conf.

--
Leif Gregory
Power Wagon Registry:  http://powerwagonregistry.org