[ubuntu-us-nm] Boot script run as root

Leif Gregory ldgregory69 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 23:09:45 BST 2008

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:00:39 -0600
Eric Krieger <unmlobo at gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry, my original response got sent directly to Eric rather than the
list.

> 1) Edit your /etc/hdparm.conf file and add the following to it.
>
> /dev/sda {
> apm = 255
> spindown_time = 0
> }
>

> 2) Then run 'sudo update-rc.d hdparm defaults'

I didn't even think of trying that. Let me ask you though. Does 255
really work for you? When I was trying out various things, doing an
hdparm -B 255 only got me to 254. I did the below to show you what I
mean:

bishop at bishtop:~/scripts$ sudo hdparm -B 253 /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 setting Advanced Power Management level to 0xfd (253)

bishop at bishtop:~/scripts$ sudo hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep Advanced
        Advanced power management level: 253 (0xfd)
           *    Advanced Power Management feature set

bishop at bishtop:~/scripts$ sudo hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 setting Advanced Power Management level to 0xfe (254)

bishop at bishtop:~/scripts$ sudo hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep Advanced
        Advanced power management level: 254 (0xfe)
           *    Advanced Power Management feature set

bishop at bishtop:~/scripts$ sudo hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 setting Advanced Power Management level to disabled

bishop at bishtop:~/scripts$ sudo hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep Advanced
        Advanced power management level: 254 (0xfe)
                Advanced Power Management feature set

So while the response to setting to 255 says it's disabling, it
appears to only be setting to 254. Just wondering if it's different
for you. Could be a drive manufacturer thing.

> You can also do the following if the above work around does not
> work....
>
> 1) Make a file named "99-hdd-spin-fix.sh". The important thing is
> starting with "99".
>
> 2) Make sure the file contains the following 2 lines (fix it if you
> have PATA HDD):
>
> #!/bin/sh
> hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda
>
> 3) Copy this file to 3 locations:
>
> /etc/acpi/suspend.d/
> /etc/acpi/resume.d/
> /etc/acpi/start.d/
>
> 4) Reboot and you are done.

Cool. Thanks. The first solution is the more ideal for me. I'll give it
a shot and hope that one works.

--
Leif Gregory
Power Wagon Registry:  http://powerwagonregistry.org