[Ubuntu-US-NM] sata performance.

Eric Krieger unmlobo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 00:10:51 GMT 2007

Actually, those numbers don't look bad at all. I've only seen better
numbers on something like a Western Digital SATA Raptor or better.

If you really want to you can look at the see if you can squeeze a
little better performance.

- Look at the BOIS settings for you motherboard. If the settings for
your HD are using "Auto" try setting the drive settings manually.
- Try changing swappines from the default 60 to 0. This is how your
system used the swap partition on your drive. You may want to adjust
this depending on the amount of ram in your system. I have usually a gig
or more so I set this to 0, which makes the system use the swap only
when it has run out of system memory.

Check to see your current vaule...

sysctl -q vm.swappiness

Now to change the value while the system is running.

sudo sysctl vm.swappiness=0

to make activate this on boot...

sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf

and add the following to the bottom of the file...

vm.swappiness=0

What file system are you using? You might be able to to tune you file
system to eek out more performance.

Eric