Ubuntu-US-NM OpenSource VMWare ESX

DThomas at metrocourt.state.nm.us DThomas at metrocourt.state.nm.us
Fri Nov 2 13:15:52 GMT 2007

Keeo me in the loop on your testing, sounds fun.

Eric Krieger <unmlobo at gmail.com>
Sent by: ubuntu-us-nm-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com
11/01/2007 04:33 PM
Please respond to
Ubuntu US-New Mexico Team <ubuntu-us-nm at lists.ubuntu.com>

Ubuntu NM <Ubuntu-us-nm at lists.ubuntu.com>
cc

Subject
Ubuntu-US-NM OpenSource VMWare ESX

I've been thinking about trying to recreate an ESX like environment with
the freeware version of VMWare server and Ubuntu. In theory if you...

1 - Install Ubuntu Server on a backend server that has a ton of storage
which will be the "shared" storage server.

2 - Use NFS to share out big chunks of storage from the backend server.

3 - Install Ubuntu Server and VMWAre on the "frontend" servers (2 or
More).

4 - Mount the shared NFS storage shares on all frontend servers

5 - When creating VM's create them on the NFS shares.

6 - Power up a VM on a single frontend server but point all the frontend
VM servers at all VM's.  This way if a frontend server dies you can
recover to one of the other frontend servers.

It should work.  Mind you having GigE network is sort of a must. Even
better Dual NIC's in the servers with separate GigE Switches or VLANs
(one for storage the other for data).

=)

- Eric

Eric J. Krieger
email: unmlobo at gmail.com

Random Quote:

"There's never a cop around when you need
one!"
        -A. Capone

Thu Nov 1 15:39:26 MDT 2007
#1 SMP Sun Oct 14 23:05:12 GMT 2007 GNU/Linux