[Ubuntu-US-NM] Article:Dethroning Ubuntu -- What Would It Take?

DThomas at metrocourt.state.nm.us DThomas at metrocourt.state.nm.us
Tue Dec 11 16:40:34 GMT 2007

Well said Eric

Eric Krieger <unmlobo at gmail.com>
Sent by: ubuntu-us-nm-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com
12/11/2007 07:08 AM
Please respond to
Ubuntu US-New Mexico Team <ubuntu-us-nm at lists.ubuntu.com>

cc

Subject
[Ubuntu-US-NM] Article:Dethroning Ubuntu -- What Would It Take?

Interesting article.

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/article.php/31771_3714986_3

Some good points but I personally think that the article has a few
things wrong.

1- Success with geeks *DOES* equal marketplace dominances. Look at the
internet/www, the TiVo, MP3s, Networks, streaming media for starters.
All started as "geek" only followings.
2- It is possbile to please both  purist and  the average jane/joe end
users.  Take a page from the Microsoft play book and offer various
versions (i.e. Home or Professional).

I think that for all linux disto's to gain a massive market share it's
going to take a little more then what is mentioned in the article.

For starters:

1 - Stop the distro, gui interface infighting!  All have their advantages.
2- A single *Unified Package Management* across all distros, that is
both easy and resolves *ALL* dependencies!!!!!  I can't tell you how
this would improve linux experience across the board.
3- Listen to the below average end user.  To quote Vulcan philosophy
"The needs of the many out weigh the needs of a few or the one." Build
upon what they are asking for and believe me they are asking.  Just very
few are listening.
3- Education.  Prove to the average users that they don't need Windows
to meet their needs and wants. I think that it's a good thing that this
is progressing slowly.  Build it once and do it right!  Just look linux
is gaining ground and Microsoft is scared.  Microsoft has  no idea,
other than miss-information, how to compete with something that is easy
to use, more stable and free.

Eric