[Ubuntu-US-NM] EPC: A email from Sam Slishman

Eric Krieger unmlobo at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 10:50:24 GMT 2007

Hi Everyone,
    Just wanted to pass a long a email from Sam Slishman CEO of EPC.
Sam includes mini list of things he's thinking about that Ubuntu NM LoCo
can help EPC with.

Eric

************************************

The squeaky wheel gets the grease in this town. The squeakier wheel gets
kicked and then a little more grease. And the squeakiest wheel gets shot
in the head. It's a fine line to avoid getting shot and I'm sure
numerous planners, fire marshals, inspectors and contractors have my
number now. But as of 3p yesterday we have a temp C of O. What a load
off. We also have the electrical green tag. We still need to accomplish
a fairly simple punch list for the fire marshal and then get a building
final inspection. But folks are moving in as we speak.

Wednesday was a panic. No day in the past year was tougher... worse than
finding out we needed to raise the power lines 3 feet.. worse than
watching the gas line bent to a 90.. worse than finding out the phone#
for stucco guy1 was actually his mother's. Coordinating 3 contractors
and 1 fire marshal for a specific time Thurs brought me closer to
insanity than ever. Luckily we have John Dantis on our side and this
week's gold star is his. Actually Bruce, the electrical inspector, gets
one too. He really bent over backwards over multiple visits to help us
toward our green tag, while still providing sound and logical guidance.
He actually tested the outlets and flipped switches too.

1p Thursday everyone had their smiles on and we started the long walk.
By 3 we had the temp C of O and 11 items on the fire marshal punch
list.. not bad. Folks started moving in later in the day and by 6a this
morning I got my first call on the "epc hotline" to eject someone for
being noisy and drunk. This might sound like a rocky start, but I'm
happy to see our systems tested and relieved that they seem to be
working. Regardless, seeing lights on in the rooms and life in the
building was one of the most satisfying experiences of the year this
morning. Still plenty to do in the coming weeks, but all within reach.

Other items...
-Many thanks to Lynney for her article in the NAMI newsletter... really
touching. She seems to have forgiven me over the garden. xo
http://www.nami.org/Content/Microsites86/NAMI_Albuquerque/Home82/Newsletter3/1Q-2008.pdf
<http://www.nami.org/Content/Microsites86/NAMI_Albuquerque/Home82/Newsletter3/1Q-2008.pdf>
-The local Ubuntu chapter, led by David Thomas and Eric Krieger, is very
interested in digging in with us. They came by a couple days ago and the
possibilities seem endless. The top 4 ideas are: 1. Tune up the computer
room software, hardware, network etc. 2. Set up computers in each room
and the network. 3. Create a computer kiosk in the cafe. 4. Develop IT
training opportunities for our new EPU citizens.
We're loaded with computers now and it's time to get them up and
running. So if you're interested in taking part, please email David and
Eric at DThomas at metrocourt.state.nm.us
<mailto:DThomas%40metrocourt.state.nm.us> and ronin5150 at gmail.com
<mailto:ronin5150%40gmail.com>. We're
hoping to set up our first EPC-IT meeting for some time shortly after
the 25th.
-Steven Ilardi, subject of the "Simply Happy" article I sent out a
couple weeks ago, wrote back to an inquiry by Janice. Great guy. He's
given me permission to attach his latest preprint writing with the
following caveat: "please, no reproduction or citation without the
author's permission." I think it's a great read and feels a lot like
EPC+Omega3. Many thanks to Dr. Ilardi for sharing his work. In an age
when we gather our intellectual property like squirrels gathering nuts,
Dr. Ilardi is a breath of fresh air.
-Many thanks to Peter White and his English class for all their help at
the building. The class wrapped up today and celebrated with a fiddle
concert.

I'll be offline from the 9-25th.. heading to a Buddhist retreat in
Antarctica to study mating patterns of krill and the effects of cell
phone/email deprivation on psychotic doctor/contractors.
I'll try to send a note or 2 along the way. But if not, see you in a
couple weeks.
Meeting Monday at 6p.
Email Gigi or Janice with your questions or ideas..
(gallegos_regina at yahoo.com <mailto:gallegos_regina%40yahoo.com>,
janice.mancuso at gmail.com <mailto:janice.mancuso%40gmail.com>).
Ad astra per aspera,