ubuntu-us-nj [CHLUG] FOSSCON 30 days away!

David A. Harding dave at dtrt.org
Sun Jul 15 18:23:30 UTC 2012

In message <CAHVUCOeYjKp6J+NV1WOTRw0ujorza3shpabiX+1_j=LnN6Ytog at mail.gmail.com>, Jim Fisher wrote:
> This year's keynote will be provided by Bradley M. Kuhn, Executive
> Director of the Software Freedom Conservancy, who will be speaking on
> "Promoting Software Freedom Development via Non-Profits."

I've seen Brad Kuhn speak on several occasions, and he is a fantastic
speaker.  I highly recommend checking out his keynote even if you think
the title sounds a bit boring.

For those of you who don't remember--or who weren't involved
back then--Brad gave a speech for the Rutgers Student LUG (RUSLUG)
almost a decade ago.  The recording seems to have disappeared from the
Internet, but I was able to fish a copy off my personal media player;
you can find it here:

    http://dave.dtrt.org/bkuhn-rutgers-2003-04-22-software-freedom.ogg

It's 23 MiB and about 2 hours long (including the Q&A at the end). Don't
worry about the first 30 seconds of the audio--it gets better once Brad
starts talking. New Jersey Linux oldtimers might recognize some of the
voices asking the questions.

Before he became director at the SFC (and the SFLC before that), he was
the day-to-day boss over at the FSF. And, if you get Brad off the
record, he'll tell you what it was like trying to wrangle the
intractable Richard Stallman.

-Dave
--
David A. Harding                              http://dtrt.org/