ubuntu-us-nj Newb here

Leland @ Brightroom leland at thebrightroom.biz
Tue Aug 17 07:27:41 BST 2010

   Hi Evan!
AFAIK the only thing to 'learn' is the command line. Everything else in
Ubuntu - as with most GUI distros, is fairly self explanatory.
Installing drivers and software has become so much easier, although each
distro has it's distinct way of doing things.

For Anti-Virus, Brent is right, it's pretty much a non issue, HOWEVER,
it is helpful if you get e-mails with virus payloads in them... that way
you can at least inform the sender they have sent a virus-laden file.
Also it will alert you to driveby-download internet sites - which
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! you don't have to worry about but it's nice to know when
you've hit one.

I strongly recommend http://www.avast.com/ as I use it on XP, VIsta, 7
and Ubuntu, the basic version is free, it rocks, it's saved me several
times!!! (windows computers, that is) and did the aforementioned e-mail
alert twice in Linux.

Also: Copy what Brent said about firewalls, when you're on 24/7 with
shares it's something to be aware of. Had a server once (Suse) that was
fine for about a year then WHAMMO, it got mucked up with filesharing
stuff because I didn't have firewall on it. What was I thinking!! ; >

Good luck, and have fun!