ubuntu-us-nj Newb here

Evan Koblentz evan at snarc.net
Tue Aug 17 05:49:13 BST 2010

  Hello world --

Installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my primary PC last week.  I miss some of XP's
bells and whistles, but mostly I'm happy with this alternative.  At
first I was impressed with how quickly it boots -- then I was MORE
impressed with how quickly it shuts down!

Other than some Solaris in college (mid-1990s) and even less Red Hat at
work (late 1990s), I have no *nix experience at all.

Non-commercial plug: I think old-fashioned user groups are awesome.  I'm
founder and president of a group called MARCH (Mid-Atlantic Retro
Computing Hobbyists) ..... we're a motley crew of retrotech fans, mostly
focusing on computers from the 60s, 70s, and 80s.  We have a
bricks-and-mortar computer museum in Wall Township, and we host the
annual Vintage Computer Festival East.  Ya'll may have met us at TCF,
HOPE, etc.

Anyway, I'd like to meet locals who can help me learn Ubuntu.

First big question: in XP, I was fanatical about updating my A/V,
anti-spyware, firewall, etc. ...... are these non-issues in Linux?  Or
what should I be using for security?

And when is the next meeting?

- Evan