ubuntu-us-nj Trenton Computer Festival April 25-26

Dossy Shiobara dossy at panoptic.com
Mon Apr 13 14:41:17 BST 2009

On 4/13/09 9:18 AM, n2vip at verizon.net wrote:
> Joe, all:
> I can't commit to time at the table, but just a few thoughts:
> - I think it is good to have some CD-Rs w/Ubuntu Linux (9.04) - but no
> need for a great number, but a few for those interested would be helpful.

Seriously, in 2009, is downloading a CD or DVD .iso that much of a hurdle?

Perhaps design a 4-up postcard-sized guide to downloading and installing
Ubuntu, print a hundred or two of those and hand them out to anyone who
wants it, rather than burning a crapload of CD's or DVD's.

> - TCF may not be a place where you'll find "newbies", and non-newbies
> will have tried Ubuntu (or any other Linux/*BSD) already

Right!  What would be more valuable than handing out install media could
be setting up a few live Ubuntu and Debian machines at the booth with
the latest of everything shiny and cool to let folks try out.

Especially important are those non-newbies who think they know what
Linux is because they "tried" it a few _years_ ago and formed negative
opinions of it.  If you give them a very low-barrier-to-entry way of
re-evaluating it with a live system at the TCF, they may reconsider and
give it another shot.

> - Providing pointers, a friendly face, and help with minor frustrations
> should be the goal of the booth - reinforcing interest

Booth babes and hunks!  :-)

> I just gave a couple presentations in my community on linux (in general)
> this month, and most attendees had tried Linux a few years ago but had
> problems - they will want to know if their personal itches have been
> scratched (yet)...

+1.  Exactly.

--
Dossy Shiobara              | dossy at panoptic.com | http://dossy.org/