ubuntu-us-nj Planning for "2 Parties 1 State" [BETA] -- The BBQ/LAN Party

David A. Harding dave at dtrt.org
Thu Jul 17 02:53:32 BST 2008

[Please don't forward this announcement to other mailing lists; we
aren't finished planning.]

		2 PARTIES 1 STATE
		The New Jersey Ubuntu Local Community's
		Summer 2008 Barbecue and LAN Party

		Saturday, 23 August 2008 in
			Cherry Hill, Southern NJ
			Butler, Northern NJ

		At Both Locations:
			The Party starts at 14:00 (2PM)
			Barbecue  starts at 17:00 (5PM)
			The Party  ends  at 02:00 (2AM) Sunday

Please give a big mailing list round of applause to Joe Terranova and
Dossy Shiobara (and their families) for providing the party locations.

                                * * *

I need your moral support before we begin taking party reservations.
Before last year's barbecue, we asked everyone who reserved seats to
bring a necessary food, but several people cancelled at the last moment,
and we were left without, for example, burgers.

This year I want to charge a barbecue cover during reservations. The
cover will be distributed to Joe and Dossy so that they can purchase
barbecue essentials. I'll still ask attendees to bring non-essentials,
but I won't co-ordinate who's bringing what or even worry about it; you
can bring just enough non-essentials for yourself, or you can bring
enough to share with others.

        Example Essentials
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        - Burgers, 'dogs, ribs, rolls (as necessary), etc.
        - Veggies, condiments, etc.
        - Propane, charcoal, lighter fluid, etc.

        Example Non-Essentials
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        - Sides: potato salad, cole slaw, deviled eggs, chips, etc.
        - Dessert
        - Drinks: Cola, booze (no, really, booze isn't an essential), etc.

Joe and Dossy will ultimately determine what is or isn't essential; I'll
encourage them to spend 100% of the cover charges -- that means there
will be no refunds. Repeat: NO REFUNDS.

Because the cover charge will only fund the essentials, we can keep it
low.  I suggest $5 per person.

If you have strong feelings about this cover charge plan, please respond
to this email before Saturday, July 19th. I'll take a lack of negative
complain for you.

                                * * *

I plan to have a forwardable party announcement for you at this time
next week when we've finished planning.

Thanks,

-Dave
--