ubuntu-us-nj public terminals

Melissa Romanus melissa.romanus at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 16:34:59 BST 2008

Hi all-

Hope everyone is having a great day!

I was just curious if any of you have set up linux kiosks for any
public places. We're trying to do something like with my school [the
school already has Windows-based public computers], and we're just
kind of bouncing ideas off of one another. I'm curious if you guys
have any suggestions or recommendations. We're not even married to the
idea of Ubuntu--it's just what all of us happen to use personally.
Anyway, administration is a little shaky on the whole idea as well. So
far, we've acquired three different computer/monitor/keyboard/mouse
setups, so we have the computers (at least enough for a demo)...it's
just a matter of figuring out the basics. The thing is...the main
focus of the thing will be for people who want to check their e-mail
or need a quick something, however, we want them to _know_ they're
using linux, because the whole point is to promote linux around campus
and such. Anyway, if you can think of snags that might arise and how
to combat them, that would be good too. Any input is much appreciated.

-MelRom