ubuntu-us-nj Next event for the LoCo Team?

Ken Hansen n2vip at verizon.net
Mon Jan 28 15:17:53 GMT 2008

Not sure if/when this event will be, but I too have an Ultra 2 in my
garage, and I think getting Ubuntu Server 7.10 up and running on it
could be a good exercise. In fact, my Ultra 2 has about a half-dozen
or so "friends" in the garage (other Ultra 2s) that I would like to
be rid of. Would folks be interested in maybe spending some time on
the SPARC platform (I'm sure it doesn't get enough attention,
compared with x86 and x64)?

If the Hackfest is held at a time I can attend, I can bring a half-
dozen Ultra 2s for folks to work with, but you'll need a null modem
serial cable to go from the 25 pin female connector on the Ultra 2 to
your laptop (either serial or a serial->USB adapter).  You'll also
need something to use as a console (laptop preferred, but it doesn't
really matter) with a suitable terminal program (Even Hyperterm on
Windows is fine - you want VT100 emulation or better).

I will happily give these machines to folks interested in working on
the UltraSPARC port of Ubuntu - since each machine has it's own CD-
ROM drive, I'll bring copies of the Ubuntu OS on CD for each machine,
along with CPU, RAM, and an HD to make each system functional.
Personally, I'd like to see a definitive install document come out of
the day, outlining how to go from a "found" piece of hardware to a
stable, up-to-date LAMP server running on an Ultra 2.

If anyone is interested in the details of the Ultra 2, check out the
Sun website here: http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/
validateUser.do?target=Systems/U2/U2

And here is a link to a lot of SPARC users comments/suggestions on
Ubuntuforums.org: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/f-146.html

Once a date is known, I'll post again and solicit names for each
machine I can bring. If I'm unable to attend, I'm willing to
negotiate shipping to individuals in advance of the Hackfest for
actual S/H cost, plus $5 for the packing materials (new box, peanuts,
etc.).

Ken Hansen