ubuntu-us-nj HELP! Hardy Heron is flawed

Sulley Mansford jws141 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 26 21:31:51 BST 2008

You must have installed a different Hardy Heron because I've been using since Alpha 5 with minimal to no problems.  I've done a Gutsy to Hardy upgrade on my friend's laptop with ATI Radeon Mobility 9600, installed it on my desktop, my Dell XPS m1530 laptop with no issues.  Maybe we can help you with your issues and almost anything in Linux cam be resolved with a little time.

I'm running ArchLinux on my other desktop which is also awesome, but not recommended for a new user.

rescue130 at gmail.com wrote: Hey all,

Just a warning, Hardy Heron is broke. I unfortunately upgraded yesterday. Don't do it!  It's the biggest piece of junk to date. The first distro to not recognize my wireless card out of the box. That made it impossible to even troubleshoot. Just wanted to warn the rest of you. 8.04 is nowhere ready for prime time.   And this was an LTS release!!!  (By the way, they included beta software with the final release. What a bright idea!  Pure genius)

It still has nvidia/compiz problems too. Won't boot up properly from the start. Takes about 4 restarts to get an acceptable screen resolution without compiz working even. Much tinkering will be required.

I'm thinking of trying a more stable platform from now on...  Any recommendations??

I'm using my blackberry for comms and internet until I can get rid of 8.04.

It does have a really cool new desktop background of a heron.  Not worth the hassel for just that though. If anyone wants it I'll e-mail it to you and you can use it on Gutsy Gibbon and still have a working machine.

Rob
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T