ubuntu-us-nj Pre-SFD Event Suggestion: How to Help Ubuntu

David A. Harding harda at gnuisance.net
Mon Jul 2 20:05:13 BST 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 02:14:13PM -0400, Joseph Terranova wrote:
> I'm also for having a sprint, as the summer doesn't seem like that
> most useful time to hold advocacy events.

We could go advocate at the shore. :-)

More seriously, and longer term, I've been thinking about something
Kevin Valentine said at the InstallFest: that the Philly LoCo did a
whole lot of advocacy in a short amount of time and recently decided
to take a break to recover. In short (my words), they temporarily
burned out.

Successful advocacy naturally leads to attempting more advocacy, but
advocacy is hard, and if the reward for success is always more hard
work, we ultimately guarantee burn-out.

I proposed this event because I think it is important that we stagger
advocacy and ``fun'' events.  The purpose of this event is to share
food, share knowledge, and general enjoy the company of our peers.  It
is a reward for having a successful InstallFest and a positive platform
from which we'll prepare ourselves for our next advocacy event.

> When would you want to have the sprint?

Scheduling by email is, in my opinion, horribly inefficient.  I created a
replacement poll:

	http://www.doodle.ch/dpSysEyZVP3T

-Dave