ubuntu-us-nj Getting approved

David A. Harding harda at gnuisance.net
Tue Aug 28 16:26:52 BST 2007

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 06:11:14PM -0700, Christer Edwards wrote:
> I don't live in NJ but I founded the Utah Team (one of the original teams)
> and also co-founded the US Teams Project.  I thought I might have a few
> suggestions for the group here.

Hi Christer,

Thank you for your suggestions.

One of the difficulties we've had is dealing with a geographically
dispersed membership.  That is, New Jersey's eight million inhabitants
are spread, in clumps, across the state.  Travel time between suburban
regions is typically about an hour and can be up to two-and-a-half
hours[1].

	[1] New Jersey's population distribution:
		http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:New_Jersey_Population_Map.png

How does the Utah team deal with similar problems? For example, how do
you have meetings that include people from both the Wasatch Front and
St. George[1] regions? (Or even just people from Ogden and Provo?[2])

        (For my New Jersey collegues)
        [1] The Wasatch Front region, which contains Salt Lake City, is
            about as far from St. George as Cherry Hill is from
            Washington D.C.

        [2] Ogden and Provo are about 80 miles apart. If you draw a
            (very crooked) line between those two cities, Salt Lake City
            (SLC) is roughly in the middle of the line. So, Ogden,
            SLC, and Provo roughly correspond to New Brunswick, Trenton,
            and Cherry Hill.

Thanks again,

-Dave
--
Original randomly generated signature removed because it was deemed
``unsuitable to the current conversation.''