ubuntu-us-nj Getting approved

Christer Edwards christer.edwards at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 28 02:11:14 BST 2007

On Mon Aug 27, 2007 at 08:54:37PM -0400, Peter (Ubuntu List) wrote:
> I want ask people to reply here with suggestions for the roadmap. Also
> let us know what your personal experiences are and how you think you can
> contribute.
>
> I don't want to step on people's toes and if I am I apologize, just let
> me know and I'll get of your toes and step aside :)
>
> Thanks
> Peter

Peter & NJ Team,

I don't live in NJ but I founded the Utah Team (one of the original teams)
and also co-founded the US Teams Project.  I thought I might have a few
suggestions for the group here.

1) organize and communicate.  I do see a lot of regular activity on this
list so you guys are doing a great job there.  Keep that up.  The main
problem I/we found with early teams is a lack of coordination and
communication.

If you're working on a project, get feedback.  If you have ideas, let the
team know.  Use the mailing list a lot and make sure to recruit to it.  The
more people you have on the list the more communication can get around and
thrive for the team.

2) regular meetings.  One thing that I've found to be really successful for
our team is regularly scheduled meetings.  We have a "real life" meeting
once per month, second saturday, 6:00pm - 8:30pm.  We've always had them at
that time and people can plan on it.

Something as regularly planned as this is helpful to new users or lurkers.
If they have only been around here and there yet know that the meetings
will be at the regular time they eventually show up :)  Plus, meetings are
a great way to discuss ideas and educate the group.

3) ubuntu-us at lists.ubuntu.com .  For those that use IRC this is the
equivalent of the #ubuntu-us channel.  If you'd like to discuss ideas with
other established teams its not a bad idea to post topics for discussion in
there.

One of the main goals of the US Teams Project, and something I always want
everyone to remember, is that its all about "Teams helping Teams".  In
addition to checking out the approved teams wikis (which is a good idea) go
out and talk to them, use the main list, drop into other irc channels.

We're happy to help.  Come talk to us about your ideas and we'll help you
bring them about.

Christer Edwards
Founder, Utah Team
Co-Founder, US Teams Project