[NH LoCo] Running linux without Gnome/KDE

Shawn O'Shea shawn at eth0.net
Thu Feb 11 14:34:40 GMT 2010

I'm actually tunning fluxbox on Ubuntu (my laptop thrashes a lot when I run
GNOME because it doesn't have a lot of memory). I'm pretty sure I didn't
need to do anything special beyond install the fluxbox package. Then when
you get the GUI logogn screen, click Options down in the bottom left corner
and pick "Choose session". fluxbox should be added to the list by the Ubuntu
packages for it. I believe this defaults to "Last session" so in the future
when you login, it should go to fluxbox, and you can always switch to GNOME
if you need or want it for some reason.

-Shawn