[NH LoCo] help [return] key locks everything up...

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 17:04:18 GMT 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Susan Cragin
<susancragin at earthlink.net> wrote:
> i have a problem that entirely stumps me. suddenly my [return] key locks everything up.

  Have you installed any new software recently?  Have you changed any
locale settings recently?

  If you haven't tried rebooting: Try spazzing the CTRL, ALT, and
SHIFT keys.  By spazzing, I mean pressing all those keys rapidly and
randomly, sometimes together, sometimes in sequence, in various
combinations.  Include *both* SHIFT/ALT/CTRL keys, if your keyboard is
so equipped.  Sometimes the keyboard controller's shift states will
get confused, and this fixes it.

  Try rebooting.

  Try shutting down the computer, powering off, unplugging the power
cord, removing the battery (if a laptop), then pressing the power
button/switch as if turning the computer on.  Wait 30 seconds.  Then
put everything back and power on for real.  Sometimes hardware gets
confused, and modern computers don't really power off anymore, so
shutting down doesn't already reset the hardware.  Doing this really
does power off, including discharging capacitors.

  Have you tried booting into recovery mode (from the GRUB menu)?

-- Ben