[NH LoCo] Manchester school outreach

Arc Riley arcriley at gmail.com
Thu May 21 00:13:14 BST 2009

We don't need a background check to meet with the faculty, those things only
come into play if we were part of a program such as a computer club or were
doing work for the school.  This is just meeting with the faculty which
doesn't even need to happen at the school.

There's three schools I'm looking at specifically because they're in the
community network deployment zone, two of which are private schools.  If we
were to just go to talk to them about the network, without any real use for
them, it wouldn't be very effective.  A focus on a crossover of two specific
areas, however:

   - what can they do with Ubuntu that they cannot with Windows
   - what can they do over the community network that is infeasable with the
   Internet

I see two possible ways to get in our foot in the door - either through the
computer dept or through the art dept.

The computer depts are hit or miss.  If the person we talk to is a Microsoft
fanboy it's a non-starter, but we won't know that until we meet with them.
Remember these schools are completely separate from each other.

I've had some good luck with art teachers in the past with Blender, their
budgets are usually really tight and being able to setup free modeling on
workstations with distributed rendering is a huge boon.  The community
network could extend that further, allowing students to utilize the art dept
systems from home for their files and rendering.  Students being able to run
the same software from home, vs even the student discounted $1500 licenses
on some 3d modeling software, is an easy sell.