[ubuntu-us-nc] FOSS for audio production webcast on opensource.com

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 00:11:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 7:23 PM, <adam at linkedlistcorruption.com> wrote:

> [...]
> I do a lot with TriLUG here in the Triangle but if there's another LUG that
> might be interested in my presentation I'd love to spread the word!
>
> "are you currently using the planetCCRMA packages with fedora?"
>
> No, I never liked planetCCRMA. they're always a release or two behind
> Fedora and I've run into problems with package dependency conflicts. Some of
> those could very well have been rooted in my own ignorance but they made me
> gun shy none-the-less. Instead I recorded on UbuntuStudio. However, in
> Fedora 14 the Fedora folks collaborated with the planetCCRMA folks to get
> good audio packages in the Fedora base repos. They even put together a
> killer doc for audio on Fedora through the GSOC:
>

> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Musicians_Guide/index.html
>
> I recorded for a while on F14 and loved it. In my testing I saw about 50%
> less DSP CPU utilization in Ardour & JACK on F14 as compared to UbuntuStudio
> Lucid. I think this was because of jack-dmp being default in F14. I returned
> to UbuntuStudio on Maverick and found performance in line with F14. I just
> installed Natty last night. So far it is blowing my socks off. Unity fits my
> workflow perfectly and I'm seeing another major increase in performance on
> the same hardware as compared to Maverick. Very impressed indeed.
>
> "i work with the ubuntustudio team a bit, mostly just testing and
> organizing, but we have been quite happy about the development of the
> -generic kernel, however quite sad that we didnt get the -lowlatency kernel
> pushed in the repos for natty since we actually do still need it, but
> hopefully before 12.04, we will have the one kernel..."
>
> I've tested... and tested... and tested... and tested. Nothing touches the
> hard realtime kernel for performance. I still use the hard real time kerenl.
> On Fedora I build my own. Unfortunately I am far less competent on Debian
> based systems and don't understand GRUB 2 so I can't build my own real time
> kernels on Ubuntu. Instead I still use the creaky old linux-realtime
> 2.6.33-29.1 from abogani. I tested the 2.6.33-29.1 vs. the lowlatency kernel
> 2.6.38-8.42 for Natty and it lead to xruns and stutters on complex Ardour
> compositions whereas the realtime was smooth as butter. I'd love to not have
> to use the realtime kernel but as far as my testing has shown I'm convinced
> that we still need it; the lowlatency is not enough.
>
> "i'll mark your show on my calendar and try and make it.."
>
> Awesome :) I hope it is in some way informative or useful. I'll be givning
> a similar presentation at CarolinaCon at the end of the month so if you are
> interested come on out. Also, feel free to hit me on freenode if you want to
> talk audio. I'm zylogz80 in #ubuntustudio and a couple other places.
>
> Thanks!
> Adam
>
> i think ive talked to you on IRC before maybe... im holstein on freenode,
come to #ubuntustudio-devel sometime, or #opensourcemusicians... i didnt say
i was using a -generic kernel, but lots of folks are these days and getting
nice results. i find most users dont need low latency anyways, really just
for realtime effects and sotfware synths... i usually use several different
jack profiles anyways ranging from 1.2ms to 60+ms depending on what i need
and how hard i need to work the system... this is the wnclug over here in
asheville http://wnclug.ourproject.org/ ...i had a presentation get snowed
out, but 3 or so folks were there and i really just talked about JACK a
bit... i was thinking about doing more of an edutainment kind of thing...
bring the bass in and do some looping with sooperlooper, triggering it with
a midi keyboard... then i have the midi keyboard to demo yoshimi or
xsynth/whysynth or whatever, and maybe show an ardour session and talk about
the workflow a bit (inserts, sends and plugins or whatever) and show
JAMin... im hoping to have about 15 or 20 minutes of stuff planned, and take
questions and keep it to 45 minutes or so... maybe we can pool our resources
sometime and do something more officially relating to ubuntustudio and the
ubuntu-nc team... im over in charlotte often enough to make something happen
over that way...