[ubuntu-us-nc] Freenode IRC Problems

markthecarp markthecarp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 23:53:45 GMT 2010

Hi All,

The Freenode IRC network has been undergoing attacks by spam bots over
the last week or so. The operators of the Freenode IRC network have
recommended that channels (rooms) be set to +r or +R mode [1]. I am
going to follow the recommendation of these folks mainly to insure that
our team channel won't be used to propagate these attacks.

I'm going to set the channel mode to +r. [1]
<snip>
+r (block unidentified)
This mode prevents users who are not identified with NickServ from
joining the channel. Users will receive a server notice explaining this
if they try to join.
</snip>

What this means in a nutshell is that users will have to have a
registered nickname with Freenode [2]. The original team IRC channel
(#ubuntu-northcarolina) required this but I didn't set the new channel
up that way to make things a little easier for new users. The channel
was changed to come into compliance with the standards for approved
teams. I will remove the +r on meeting days so that the
webchat.freenode.net link will work w/o requiring a registered nickname.

I hope this isn't too painful. Please feel free to ask away here or on
the team forum [3] if you need help registering your nickname.

Cheers,
-mark

[1]http://freenode.net/using_the_network.shtml
[2]http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup