[ubuntu-us-nc] minimalist way to play mp3, audio cds?

Mark Kempster mark at kempster.org
Fri Jun 12 15:29:37 BST 2009

If I have an mp3 on the desktop, ubuntu starts playing it when the
mouse hovers over it. When I want to play it for real, double-clicking
fires up Movie Player, and right-clicking gives me a variety of
cumbersome applications - I don't really need to fire up Banshee or
'Audio CD Extractor' just to play something I downloaded.

Ditto for audio CDs. Right-clicking lets me 'Copy' and 'Check' and
there's something for 'Blank Disk...', but not a 'Play'.

Do you have a favorite minimalist audio player? I'd prefer something
that minimized to the toolbar, or the tool tray. I don't need
streaming, podcast-management, cover lookups, itunes-store
integration... Songbird, Banshee, those are all fine for that stuff.
When I get an audiobook from the library, or download an mp3 I just
want to play it with a minimum of fuss.

Thanks!

Mark