[ubuntu-us-nc] 501c3

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 04:53:39 BST 2009

this is mostly for Mark via are discussion in the meeting...

I had a chance to speak with the guys that run the Jazz Composers
Forum<http://www.jazzcomposersforum.org/>here in asheville that i was
a founding member of, and i was also on the
scene when the organization applied for not-for-profit status. We had a
lawyer friend (musician) do the hard work for us free of charge, and the
process took about 2 years. We were able to accept donations during that
time because we had a *fiscal sponsor*, WCQS <http://www.wcqs.org/>... so if
you wanted to try and find a fiscal sponsor (basically just an existing
not-for-profit) and a lawyer friend to do the dirty work, that seems to be
the bulk of it... and after sponsorship, your basically up and running...

...SIDE NOTE:, i have a concert tomorrow
night<http://www.callthatjazz.com/07232009.html>,
for those of you who might be near asheville and interested...

...thanks

--
MH
http://www.myspace.com/mikeholstein