[ubuntu-us-nc] Meeting Minutes - How to Run a Bug Jam

Carlos Lerzundy lerzundy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 14:04:12 GMT 2009

*Ubuntu **North Carolina Local Community Team*
Location: #ubuntu-classroom
Date: 01/30/2009 - 7:00am ET
*
NC Team Members present:*
- CitizenJoeFriday
- Misterdasher
- ArepaKing
*
Others:*
103 users world wide.
*
Proceedings: *
* dholbach - IRC Channel administrator
- He talked about preparing some Explanatory Materials by giving us a
website which contains also how a bug jam session is structured. The website
is: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RunningBugJam#Material
- This website explains the process of the session that we intend to hold.
That being said, the structure goes like this:
a) *Selecting the Venue*:  The venue for the Bug Jam can be anywhere where
you can fit a bunch of geeks, allow them to plug in laptops and preferably
get an internet connection. This could be a house, a university room, a pub,
a LUG nearby or anywhere else. In terms of sourcing a venue, speak to your
local LoCo <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCo> team to determine who might be
able to help. The majority of venues that people tend to run jams in are
typically available for free (someone works somewhere that can offer a
space). For more information please refer to the website above.

b) *Promoting the Jam*: i) blog about it! This is particularly important if
your blog is on Planet Ubuntu or other planets. (Check out Planet Ubuntu
Users <http://ubuntuweblogs.org/>
                                 ii) tell your local LUG about the event -
encourage them to attend!
                                 iii) post to the
loco-contacts<https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/loco-contacts>mailing
list about the event.
                                 iv) put posters up in your local town in
computer shops.
                                 v) post to the Ubuntu
Forums<http://www.ubuntuforums.org/>about the event.
                                 vi) add it to the Fridge calendar
                                 vii) get in Touch with your local media
outlets to do stories on the event also.

c) *Asking people to prepare for the Jam: *the website above shows more
detailed information about this.

d) *Running the Jam:* These are the prerequisites and workflow:

   - Start out getting everyone set up, introductions, etc.
   - Check the infrastructure (projector, network connectivity, etc.)
   - Ensure everyone who wants to participate has a Launchpad account.

Workflow:

   - As people triage bugs keep track of the amount of bugs touched. This
   can be done with tomboy notes, a marker on a whiteboard, or some other
   means. It is important that you have some number so that you can measure
   improvement and progress as you have more Jams.
   - Try to group people who have similar interests in groups of four, so
   they can try to work on bugs together and answer questions in a group.

For more information about Holding the session and After the Jam, please
visit the website above.

- dholbach will work on a screencast about bug triage and also a
presentation about launchpad. He said when it is done it will be posted
here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RunningBugJam#Material
- Some videos will be uploaded to videos.ubuntu.com as well.

- The main idea of having a session like this are: Having Fun and work on
bugs. For people without experience fixing bugs exists other alternative
that can contribute to this session. You may find more details about this
activities here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/EasyTasks . Some examples are
but not limited to: check for bugs reported in Hardy or revious distros and
re-ask info whether they still occur in intrepid for further info if the
package has had updates,  Find bugs without packages, assign those. Add more
information, etc...

- During the event the channel #ubuntu-bugs will be open for any questions
and support.

For a complete transcript of the meeting held. Please refer to the attached
file.
Minutes submitted by ArepaKing.