[ubuntu-us-nc] Ubuntu User Days - Announcement and Call for Volunteers

Amber Graner akgraner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 01:21:29 GMT 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 7:57 PM, markthecarp <markthecarp at gmail.com> wrote:

> John Ghormley wrote:
> > Mark, I think I'd agree with Moss and Nate.  The IRC, while a staple for
> > long time 'nix users is not necessarily an entity of common use among
> > those who are potentially new Ubuntu users.  Chats of a more easily
> > accessible nature without the need to navigate setup, etc, of IRC might
> > be a better choice for newbies.  We don't see it as a stumbling block
> > but then none of us are newbies to computers.  Obviously, newbies come
> > in a variety of styles, but many long time Windoze users have never used
> > IRC.  Just the terminology of a "channel" is off putting to many Windoze
> > users.  I like the concept but a different vehicle may need to be
> > employed to connect to the potential audience.
> >
> > John
> >

> Well John, Moss and Nate I have passed your concerns along to the
> Learning team by way of <cough> IRC.
>
> Other common chat clients require membership in a multitude of protocols
> or services (AIM, Yahoo, MSN, GTalk, etc). IRC only requires logging
> into a server and channel. To make something like Ubuntu Users Day
> accessible globally IRC seems to be a reasonable choice.
>
> Additionally much of the daily nitty gritty of collaborating on the
> developing and maintaining of Ubuntu goes on on the #ubuntu-* channels
> on Freenode.net.
>
> Amber I have to respectfully disagree with using Lernid. At least for
> the first planned Ubuntu Users Day as using Lernid would require the
> beginner-ish user to learn how to add a Launchpad Personal Package
> Archive. To me that seems to be not new user friendly.
>
> Lernid may well make it into the Universe repos before the next release
> but for January Ubuntu Users Day it doesn't seem like a good option to me.

I wasn't suggesting it for Ubuntu User Day - (as I said still in
development).  I just mentioned that things were being worked on.  I agree
it's still really buggy now.  :-/

> -mark

Just me Amber.

There are lots of Linux users who don't care how the kernel works, but only
want to use it. That is a tribute to how good Linux is.
Linus Torvalds