[ubuntu-us-nc] Ubuntu User Days - Announcement and Call for Volunteers

markthecarp markthecarp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 00:57:02 GMT 2009

John Ghormley wrote:
> Mark, I think I'd agree with Moss and Nate.  The IRC, while a staple for
> long time 'nix users is not necessarily an entity of common use among
> those who are potentially new Ubuntu users.  Chats of a more easily
> accessible nature without the need to navigate setup, etc, of IRC might
> be a better choice for newbies.  We don't see it as a stumbling block
> but then none of us are newbies to computers.  Obviously, newbies come
> in a variety of styles, but many long time Windoze users have never used
> IRC.  Just the terminology of a "channel" is off putting to many Windoze
> users.  I like the concept but a different vehicle may need to be
> employed to connect to the potential audience.
>
> John

Well John, Moss and Nate I have passed your concerns along to the
Learning team by way of <cough> IRC.

Other common chat clients require membership in a multitude of protocols
or services (AIM, Yahoo, MSN, GTalk, etc). IRC only requires logging
into a server and channel. To make something like Ubuntu Users Day
accessible globally IRC seems to be a reasonable choice.

Additionally much of the daily nitty gritty of collaborating on the
developing and maintaining of Ubuntu goes on on the #ubuntu-* channels
on Freenode.net.

Amber I have to respectfully disagree with using Lernid. At least for
the first planned Ubuntu Users Day as using Lernid would require the
beginner-ish user to learn how to add a Launchpad Personal Package
Archive. To me that seems to be not new user friendly.

Lernid may well make it into the Universe repos before the next release
but for January Ubuntu Users Day it doesn't seem like a good option to me.

-mark