[ubuntu-us-nc] hey from Carolina Beach

Mark Kempster mark at kempster.org
Wed Apr 16 03:53:35 BST 2008

Without diverging too much from the original thread, yeah - 2 sata disks,
software raid and lvm. My goal was to do raid-1 and be able to pop out a
disk, put it in the safe for backup, pop in a new one and have the raid
reconstruct itself. Add raid pairs (hence the lvm bit) as needed.

I tried plugging in 2 320GB sata drives. I noticed one had gone south (mdadm
was reporting a 'degraded' raid) and asked mdadm to reinitialize the
degraded disk. It did, seemed to pull it back into the raid and all was
happy. About a week later I got up to ~170GB (curious that it's near half of
320) and the disk was being reported as full.

I'm fairly certain I'm the cause of the problem, but I'm pretty new to
setting up raid and didn't really dive too far into the guts to find the
problem. I just finished deploying 8.04 beta to another machine with the
intent of moving all the bits from machine a (the one with the raid) to
machine b, nuke machine a and deploy 8.04, create the raid (hopefully
correctly this time), test the size stuff, and then move the vmware bits
from machine b back to a. So, I'll have a playground box that'll be fully
reloadable for the duration of this raid and vmware-vs-kvm comparison.

If others are interested in this topic, either as the topic for an irc
meeting or two, or for some more hands-on and/or group experimentation, I'm
willing to share the meager resources of this little box if it'll serve for
illustration or something along those lines.

- Mark