[ubuntu-us-mo] Changing console font

Matthew Copple mcopple at kcopensource.org
Thu Nov 8 20:37:23 GMT 2007

I don't know if anyone else has this issue, but after installing Gutsy,
I discovered that the font for my virtual consoles (Alt-F1, Alt-F2,
etc.) was incredibly large and ugly. I managed to deuglify it somewhat
by running dpkg-reconfigure console-setup, but I am interested in going
a little further:

1. I want my virtual console to be 1440x900, just as my X sessions are
2. I want to use Lucida sans or Monotype sans as my virtual console font

In poking through the system trying to figure out how it worked, I found
the location of the console fonts -- /usr/share/consolefonts. However,
the fonts are in a strange format -- fontname.psf.gz. I have no idea
what a "psf" font is, or how to convert a TTF to it (or if it is even
necessary). Are there any ideas in ubuntu-land?

I think I have a handle on the screen resolution, once I locate
framebuffer documentation.

Matt