[ubuntu-us-mo] Ubuntu-us-mo Digest, Vol 5, Issue 1

Matthew Copple mcopple at kcopensource.org
Wed Nov 7 04:51:50 GMT 2007

I have had only one major problem. Twice now, while Firefox has been
open, Ubuntu just froze hard. I can't get to a virtual terminal, Ctrl-C
does nothing, it won't even trap Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. Eventually, after
about three or four minutes, the screen will black out and will never
come back. I have to reboot to get back. When I reopen Firefox, it will
not remember the session that it froze on.

It is an incredibly strange and random problem, and without being able
to transfer to a virtual terminal, I can't get enough info to open a bug
report. I think tomorrow I will enable ssh and see if I can log into the
system remotely when it happens and take some snapshots of ps and log
files before rebooting.

It has only happened twice to me, so I am not overly concerned about it,
but it is an annoyance to have to reboot.

Matt