[ubuntu-us-mo] Status Update 1: Missouri LoCo

Matthew Copple mcopple at kcopensource.org
Mon Jul 30 03:36:37 BST 2007

Good evening!

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

I thought I would put out a brief status update on the team and its
organization. I will try to get these out semi-regularly.

First, as I indicated last week, I have requested a forum for us. Right
now, we are still waiting for it to be acted on. I checked tonight and
Missouri Team's forum is not up yet.

Our next IRC meeting is Wednesday, August 1st, at 8:30 p.m. CT. I added
a couple of agenda items this evening, but we will accept agenda items
(post them to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MissouriTeam/Meetings) until 10:00
pm CT tomorrow (Monday). I will then post the final agenda to the list
here Tuesday evening.

I have Civil Air Patrol this Tuesday, so the agenda probably won't get
posted until 9:00 p.m. or so. Therefore, if someone would like to
volunteer to post the agenda earlier on Tuesday for me, let me know (or
better yet, just do it!).

We have started discussing projects. Kent and several others brought up
the training proposal; I think one of our goals should definitely be to
offer this training to our state. I sent some feedback in and cc'd it to
the list to stimulate discussion.

I will send more out about the training and logistics, but I wanted to
take a moment to explain why I think this could be a fruitful project
for our LOCO.

If you've reviewed the training proposal, you can see that it is very
basic -- definitely not sys admin stuff. Therefore, it is highly
unlikely that local IT training shops will pick it up -- there isn't a
lot of money in teaching Aunt Livonia how to send an e-mail with
Evolution. However, sponsoring and teaching classes like this for
beginners is a good way for us to get some positive press and allows us
to really show folks how GNU/Linux and the FOSS way can make a positive
difference. Linux isn't just for geeks anymore; it really is an OS for
the masses, and we can make a real difference by volunteering a little
time and resource to teach it.

I have some ideas on how we could do it. It is starting to get late, so
I'll probably have to wait until later in the week to chart it out, but
I would like folks to mull over the possibility of using this curriculum
as a LoCo project.

Another project that has been proposed is to help in the development of
a SOHO server. Having spent two nearly-full days wrestling with
configuring SAMBA for fileserver access to Windows machines, I have much
more respect for this idea. We have a good desktop, but our server
offering, especially in the SOHO space, leaves a lot to be desired.

I would also like to propose as a project a really active LUG outreach.
Once again, the lateness of the hour prevents me from expounding more
fully, but I will put out an e-mail with some details about my proposal.
Essentially, I see LUGs as our best source of positive word-of-mouth
advertising for Ubuntu and free software, so I want to do things that
include them and strengthen them.

For the moment, this is the first status update. I hope to see you on
Wednesday!

Matthew Copple
mcopple at kcopensource.org