[ubuntu-us-mn] DNS Changer malware

Tony Yarusso tonyyarusso at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 15:22:53 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 4:06 AM, Fred H Olson <fholson at cohousing.org> wrote:
> Anyone care to supply how to check DNS settings for Linux?
> Has anyone heard of Linux systems being affected by DNS Changer
> malware or other DNS related attacks?

Checking your settings on Linux will vary by distro, so it's hard to
write a single set of directions.  As one example though, in Ubuntu
12.04 with Gnome Shell, I click the little network icon in the top
bar, select "Network Settings", and DNS servers are listed at the
bottom of the screen that pops up.  In Ubuntu 10.04 you'd right-click
the Network Manager icon and select "Connection Information".

I have not heard of any normal Linux systems being affected, however
it DOES affect a very large number of consumer routers, and I don't
know whether that includes Linux-based firmwares or not.  This is the
vector that is most likely to affect Linux users, since most people
are just getting their DNS server settings through DHCP from their
router anyway, so breaking the router is both easy (since their
firmware receives far less scrutiny than a normal distro) and
extremely effective.

 - Tony