[ubuntu-us-mn] Unity breaks NX Client = Show Stopper

Daniel Bicknell danielbicknell63 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 18:19:30 UTC 2012

I'm hoping I'm posting this on the right list.

My problem is that I've recently upgraded my home server to Ubuntu 11.10
which has Unity as its only installed interface.  Unfortunately NX Clients
don't like Unity because the graphics are too much for the client.  Up until
11.10 Ubuntu had Gnome installed as a fall back and the No Machine NX Client
I use would fall back to this with no issue.  With 11.10, the Gnome fall
back appears to be gone and NX fails to load the server.

There are several workarounds that I've found on line but none of them work
for me:

.          Set the graphics mode to custom and put one of the below as
command parameter:

o   gnome-session --session=2d-gnome gnome-session --session=classic-gnome

.         I've tried installing Gnome Classic (and KDE) with the package
manager and setting the NX Client to resolve to these

.         Set /etc/X11/default-display-manager so that it contains
/usr/sbin/gdm (instead of /usr/sbin/lightdm)

.         Using the beta NX Client 4.0

Again, none of these have worked for me.

My questions are:

1)       Has anyone found a workaround for this issue?

2)      Am I using the right distribution?

What I mean by my second question is that, my primary Linux needs are a
mostly headless server that I can remote into with both a command line and a
graphical interface.  Ubuntu's recent development direction is that it wants
to be a Windows desktop alternative.  I think this is wonderful, but that's
not the primary purpose I have for using Linux.  Is there another
distribution that might better meet my needs?

Thanks,

Dan