[ubuntu-us-mn] ** Saturday ** Install Fest !!! at Penguins Unbound Meeting - Saturday October 30th

Fred H Olson fholson at cohousing.org
Fri Oct 29 15:26:37 BST 2010

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010, Colin Harrington wrote:

> What will the Install Fest be like?  What should I Expect?
>
> I'm planning on doing a fresh install of Maverick on my Macbook Pro this
> weekend.  Is this a good place to do it?
>
> Thank you
>
> Colin Harrington
> colin.harrington at gmail.com

The PGLNX installfests are held in a conference room with tables, net
access and 10's of folks around over the course of the day. Some are
installing Linux (mostly Ubuntu these days).  Some for the first time,
some have special hardware software considerations.  Some folks have
considerable expertise to help with problems. Since it goes most of
the day, often people contribute to order pizza.  I've been able to
get hands on help with some application software problems at
installfests e.g. installing dosemu back when installing was more
difficult.  It's a friendly event.

Yes, I'd expect it to be good for you.  Tho of course one never knows
exactly who and what expertise will be available.  It helps to
be assertive in making your needs known.  After you get someone with
appropriate expertise halping with a problem, often problems can be
solved.

Fred