[ubuntu-us-mn] Installing on old ocmputers (Was Shortcut to http://penguinsunbound.org/)

Tony Yarusso tonyyarusso at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 21:33:55 GMT 2010

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 2:53 PM, tpkyteroo luebeck <tp.game.s at gmail.com> wrote:
> Newbie Question here:
>
> Can one install Ubuntu 9.04 on an ancient piece of crap computer pre-2000
> hardware with WinME crap, and crap graphics? I've not made it to an install
> fest yet only because either I can't get a ride, monitor dies, no computer,
> or I get sick. Currently have a bad cold and an equally bad computer. lol
> Got a used ancient Dell desktop, built for checking email once a month and
> not much else -  from Uncle and Aunt while I save to buy a NEW system76
> Ubuntu.

Yes.  That said, you may need to use that (text-mode) Alternate
installer CD instead of the normal Desktop one, and maybe with the
low-memory option enabled.  That should work with systems with as
little as 64MB of RAM.  As far as what UI to use, sadly Eric's
suggestion of Xubuntu (XFCE) isn't really a lightweight alternative
anymore - recent testing shows it has similar resource requirements to
Gnome.  The current best combination of light weight and
user-friendliness seems to be Lubuntu (LXDE), which is definitely
worth a look.  That sort of install does require a bit more know-how,
so if you can get help at an installfest that would be great, but if
not hopefully that puts you on the right track.

 - Tony Yarusso