[ubuntu-us-mn] Solution for Team Inactivity

Caleb Langeslag caleb at aquaeden.com
Wed May 20 03:31:19 BST 2009

Previously on the IRC channel we've come to the realization that we're
rather inactive due to not having planned, and even not having ideas of
stuff to have planned.

So quite simply, a way to contribute to the Ubuntu Minnesota LoCo group
would be to brainstorm things in our spare time of we could do, and
record the ideas, and discuss our ideas over on a specific day.

Some ideas of what we could do (and of what could be expanded upon):
 - Installfests
 - Bug Jams
 - Packaging Jams
 - Volunteer education of open source apps
 - General team get-togethers
 - Perhaps developing our website instead of using the de facto Drupal
installation (I'm probably the only one that would consider it. xP)
 - Providing community tech support (email, ticket system, phone-based,
IRC-based, physical, etc)
 - Becoming more active on the IRC/forum
 - Group discuss over creating marketing materials, then throw some
ideas to the marketing team, and make the marketing team more active
(which has been stagnant for months to my observations)

In fact, some of you could even just set a date and location for certain
activities like meetings, and so forth.

Additionally, think these questions over:
 - Do you have access to a facility that an installfest or other events
could be hosted at? Perhaps you could even just specify a restaurant and
time for people to meet for meetings?
 - What could we do to make our [future] website useful and unique?
 - If we provided local community support, what policy would we have?
Would we require members to pass a test before being able to provide
support under the team name? Would we have a management system to keep
record of the people we've helped?
 - Should we have business cards for the [future] Ubuntu Minnesota LoCo
website for directing people towards help or information about Ubuntu?
 - Should we have an IRC bot that provides additional helpful features?
 - Are you experienced with bug fixing (bug jam) or packaging (packaging
jam)?
 - What are your abilities that you could contribute to the team?
Perhaps we could have everyone list them out, so that we know where
we're at with what we're capable of.
 - What topics could we blab about in the IRC?
 - Should we try hard at also getting friends and such into the group as
well? Or just in general of finding more members.
 - Should we also try getting our forum a little more active as well?
 - Should we organize or add to our wiki more?

Some goals:
 - Getting our members to have official Ubuntu memberships
 - Get our group approved so that we can help with things like giving
out/shipping LiveCDs (ShipIt) and more.

And just to set a time, perhaps we could share ideas and so forth on
June 6th (a Saturday) at around 7pm (on the IRC channel). By that time I
won't have school taking up my free time, which is probably the same
case with a few other members as well.

From,
Caleb Langeslag (IRC alias: Takyoji)