[ubuntu-us-mn] Building a Linux machine

Brian Jenkins jenkinbr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 18:00:56 BST 2009

There should be no problems with building your own machine. In fact, I
would say that you stand a better chance at having full hardware
support in Linux if you *DO* build your own.  Buying from the stores
(Best Buy, Wal-mart, et. al.) is risky because a lot of these
companies seem to have their own version of the hardware installed.
Buying Pre-built also gives you much less control over the hardware
that is pre-installed, and you may tend to experience issues.

In addition to Nathan's rules, I will add this: ALWAYS research your
hardware to ensure it is compatible with Linux.  Sometimes you don't
have to look any further than the NewEgg.com reviews - a lot of Linux
(esp. Ubuntu) users post their reviews regarding that hardware and its
functionality.  Other times, a bit of googleing may be necessary to
determine hardware compatibility. Especially pay attention to commonly
problematic hardware, such as: wireless adapters, printers, and gfx
cards - these tend to have more complex interfaces and can thusly be
harder to implement drivers for.

--Brian Jenkins