[ubuntu-us-mn] Building a Linux machine

Andrew Lynch lurch89 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 18:29:43 BST 2009

Dan,

At work, we have mostly custom built workstations, and they call run Ubuntu
with no driver issues. The issues usually come with the hardware themselves
interacting properly. We've had issues with CD drives not being recognized
by the motherboard, or issues with where the boot partition should go with
multiple hard drives.

Hope that helps!

-Andy

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Daniel Bicknell <
danielbicknell63 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm just curious if anyone has built their own  Ubuntu Linux machine and
> how
> satisfied you were with the results?  When I first started using Ubuntu a
> few years back, I did have some driver compatibility issues.  However, with
> the most recent releases, I have no known issues.  But I'm wondering if
> there is good driver support for these non-standard computers?
>
> Admittedly, this is only the second computer that I've built myself (and
> the
> first one was about 10 years ago).  I want to replace my aging home server
> (about 9 years old - well past retirement age).  I'm looking at Biostar and
> Gigabyte motherboards with an AMD Atholon X2 dual core processor.  I would
> be relying on the Ethernet and Sound components built into the motherboard.
>

> Any thoughts or suggestions are certainly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Andrew Lynch
lurch89 at gmail.com
http://andrewrlynch.com

Messages from this address may be signed and/or encrypted for security.
Public keys are available on http://pgp.mit.edu