[ubuntu-us-mn] OT: micro-soldering?

Tony Yarusso tonyyarusso at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 20:00:53 BST 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:25 PM, p.daniels <teeahr1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> I posted this to TCLUG a couple days back, but they're in the middle of
> Flamewar Armageddon over there, so I thought I'd try it here.
>
> I've got a problem with my iAudio X5, one of the solder joints that holds
> the headphone jack to the board came loose, so now my left channel comes and
> goes. Super-irritating. I've got the thing apart here, but I don't have a
> soldering iron to reattach it with. So if anyone (preferably but not
> necessarily in south mpls/midtown) has a soldering iron with a decently
> small tip on it and would be willing to put a new solder bead on this thing,
> I'll come to wherever you're at and bring a six-pack of your beverage of
> choice as recompense. Beats hell out of sending it to California and paying
> $40.
>
> Barring that, anyone know if superglue conducts?
>
> TIA-
>
> pete daniels

Well, I don't own a soldering iron (yet), but I do have a small amount
of soldering experience.  I'm in a northern suburb of St. Paul, but go
to Eden Prairie once a week.  How small are we talking by the way?
(Can you measure the contact?)  Perhaps I could swap the six-pack for
an iron and go from there.

As far as the glue, I wouldn't bother.  It's hard enough getting
solder to conduct properly and it's made to - even if glue does to
some extent, I highly doubt it does so well enough for fine
electronics.

--
Tony Yarusso
http://tonyyarusso.com/