[ubuntu-us-mn] Update and Volunteers?

David Groos David.Groos at mpls.k12.mn.us
Sun Jun 22 17:53:00 BST 2008

Hi All,
I wanted to provide an update to the project I'm working on of creating Ubuntu thin client networks in 3 science classrooms in the Minneapolis Public Schools this coming year.  The new and improved name of the project is "Growing Communities of Scientists".  Secondly, I'm looking for a few volunteers for next weekend for some hard labor ;-)  Here's a link to the blog where I've started making some posts about it: http://groosd.blogspot.com/

The district has donated 3 slightly used xeon servers and 50-some old pentium 3's.  I've arranged to get 50-some used 17" LCD displays from the excellent, 'Computers for Schools' organization that works out of the Stillwater Correctional Facility.  They are selling them for CHEAP!  Also, they are getting us a large format laser printer for each room.  The large format is important for printing detailed concept maps.

I've collaborated with different people quite a bit over the last 6 weeks to improve on the design of the new 'computer-embedded' tables, also key for this project.  It truly is amazing how much the design has improved from a cool but kinda expensive and mighty ugly PVC pipe version to a cheaper, more eco-friendly, simpler and, as my wife would say, 'cuter', table.   It also functions better.  It's made of wood.  I've purchased the wood at Home Depot and brought it to Roosevelt HS where it's waiting in the wood shop for a "Construction Day".  When they're built, I'll order the 1/4" tempered glass from the district's suppliers ($4.5/ft2!!!).

I'm looking for volunteers for next Sat. (6-28).  We would work at Roosevelt in my classroom from 9-1.  The goals are to complete the following tasks:
** Ubuntu-knowledgeable-person to help get the thin-client network functioning (I've already loaded on the correct form of Ubuntu 8.0.4 to do this and have a fixed IP address).
** Prep 40 Pentium 3's as thin clients by removing their hard drives and fans.
** Make 50 CAT 5e cables, from 50-100' long.
** Start to teach me how to manage this network...
Of course, how far we advance on these goals depends entirely on how many (or if any) volunteers show, and our collective skills and knowledge.

I've really appreciated the encouragement/ideas people have sent me from this Ubuntu list and hope there are some people willing/able to help out next Saturday.  Let me know if you are interested and I'll send out more info.  Here's a link to a google map showing Roosevelt's location.  http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Roosevelt+HS+Minneapolis&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=12&iwloc=A

Yours in Ubuntu,
David Groos
Science Teacher
Roosevelt HS