Converting MN Colleges to OSS

Brian Fitzgerald bfitz at ccureit.com
Thu Sep 20 18:02:28 BST 2007

MN - Group,
2 things, -
1) I am unable to be at a keyboard this afternoon to join the IRC -

2) Sounds like there is lots of energy in support of trying to get the
schools (MNSCU - Higher Ed) to embrace Open Source and Open Office.  I have
no problem with that and encourage the push.
	Things to consider...
a. The education version of MS apps cost very little when purchased in bulk,
even though it seems high, the purchase price per seat is not too
significant.
b. The schools use this most of the time because that is what businesses
expect students to know and use when they are ready to go to work.
c. You need a "Champion" inside the school to work with...bug your
instructors for support, go to the student union for support (en mass) and
maybe even the Dean of the dept you are enrolled in.
d. Ask for the ability to have the IT guys (your competition) install in a
test lab or the library...
e. Get a champion from the IT staff also.
f. Volunteer to do grunt work, project management and organize a school
"open source or Ubuntu" user group to garner support...

I am afraid you can request all you want, but without support, the projects
will not get far.  I would rather they had entire Ubuntu labs (with open
source apps as the default) - but that will be select areas in a school that
will allow that.

Sorry I cannot participate today, good luck on the School initiative.
BF