[ubuntu-us-mi] using Ubuntu (was: Meeting tonight)

David Murphy glibdud at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 6 13:56:06 UTC 2014

I run Xubuntu on my main desktop and generally keep up with the latest version. I do mostly utilitarian things with it (finances, programming, heavier web research than is convenient on a tablet), though I do run Eve Online under Wine, and it performs quite well. Odd about WoW... not sure if things have seriously changed or if my standards are just that low, but I used to run it under Wine years ago and was always impressed by how smoothly it ran with minimal fuss. I check in with plain Ubuntu once in a while, but Unity's never been able to grab me. Nor Gnome 3 for that matter. I've recently been dual-booting Arch, and haven't yet decided whether I want to switch to that more seriously.

My wife runs Ubuntu (latest LTS) on her laptop. She has also switched a lot of her use to a handheld device, but still uses the laptop for more major browsing and when she has to print something.

I have Ubuntu Server LTS on a home server/NAS and on an internet-hosted server.

Also have Ubuntu on a netbook that gets dragged out occasionally for specific tasks. I usually use it to do initial testing on new versions.

Oh, and I managed to switch my Mom to Ubuntu a couple of years ago, since pretty much all she ever does is browse the web (and rarely use a spreadsheet or word processor). She's pretty happy with it... only thing she's been disappointed with is that the coupon sites have plugins that require Windows.