[ubuntu-us-mi] new laptop

Julia Christianson julia at nscjc.net
Tue Oct 25 03:51:23 UTC 2011

Craig Maloney wrote:
> On 10/24/2011 06:06 PM, Julia Christianson wrote:
>> One thing I was concerned about was the issue someone raised a few weeks
>> ago with a Lenovo, a new boot system replacing the bios? Didn't pay
>> attention then, of course, and now I can't find that thread ...
>
> That was with a Lenovo Thinkpad X120e. The reason it was an issue was
> because UEFI replaces the BIOS, so you need to be careful with
> partitioning (you'll need a special partition for the UEFI portion, or
> the computer won't boot). However, newer Ubuntu distros handle it
> without any issue. The issue in that thread was because the partition
> got removed during the install process.
>
> Hope this helps!

Just the ticket, thanks.  Good to know because I always partition
manually.  Know I probably don't need to and maybe shouldn't these days
but it just feels wrong to let the installer handle it.

In other news, someone at Slashdot must have been reading my mind.
There's a "linux laptop" item, and System 76 gets some nice mentions
right up front.

-- Julia